London dry gin is made using botanicals such as juniper berries, coriander seeds, angelica root, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, star anise, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, fennel, saffron threads, liquorice, orange peel, lemon zest, grapefruit peels, rose petals, vanilla beans, and honey. These ingredients are steeped in alcohol and distilled to create a clear spirit.
The botanical ingredients used in London dry gins vary depending on the style of gin produced. For instance, citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, tangerines, and grapefruits are commonly added to the base spirits. Other popular additions include herbs like basil, mint, sage, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary. Some producers add spices like clove, nutmeg, and peppermint.
When choosing botanicals for your gin, consider the flavour profile that you want to achieve. A classic London dry has a combination of sweet, spicy, herbal notes. Herbs tend to dominate the aroma, while citrus fruits provide sweetness. Spices like peppermint and clove offer a cooling effect.
Some of the botanicals used in London dry gins are listed below.
• Angelica Root – Aromatic herb with a warm earthy taste. Used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat fever, inflammation, and digestive problems.
• Cardamom – Sweet spice with a hint of licorice. Popularly used in Indian cuisine.
• Cinnamon – Warm, sweet spice with a strong scent. Also known as Cinnamomum zeylanicum.
• Cloves – Spice with a sweet smell. Can be found growing wild in tropical climates.
• Coriander Seed – Herbaceous seed with a sharp, peppery taste. Often used in curry dishes.
• Ginger – Spicy root with a pungent aroma. Popularly used in Asian cooking.
• Juniper Berry – Sharp, aromatic berry with a piney flavour. Used in gin production since the 17th century.
• Liquorice – Sweet root with a bitter aftertaste. Has medicinal properties.
• Orange Peel – Citrus fruit with a milder citrus aroma. Used in perfumes and cosmetics.
• Rose Petal – Fragrant flower with a delicate scent. Used in perfume making.
• Saffron Threads – Bright yellow stigmas of crocus flowers. Used in food preparation and medicine.
• Star Anise – Nutty spice with a sweet fragrance. Has a warming effect.
• Vanilla Bean – Fragrant bean with a rich aroma. Used in desserts and drinks.
London dry gin is a classic spirit that is perfect for sipping neat or using in cocktails. The botanical ingredients give it a complex flavor that is both fresh and floral. If you're looking for a gin that is sure to please, then look no further than London dry gin.
If you're looking for the perfect gin, we recommend checking out our online store for one of our top recommendations. Whether you're buying a gift for a friend, or treating yourself, our online store offers one of the best gins available today.