Why London Dry Gin is Different from other Spirits
London dry gin is a type of gin that was first produced in England during the 18th century. Today, London dry gin is still made in England, but it is also now all over the world. There are different types of London dry gins, including:
• **Blended** - Blended gins contain a blend of various ingredients, usually juniper berries, coriander seeds, angelica root, orange peel, and botanicals like gentian root. They tend to be sweeter than single ingredient gins.
• **Single** - Single ingredient gins are typically distilled twice, resulting in a cleaner flavor profile. Single-ingredient gins tend to be drier than blended gins.
• ***Gin*** - Gin is simply grain alcohol mixed with water and flavoring agents. It is the base spirit used in making all types of gin.
It differs from these other common spirits:
• **Vodka** - Vodka is a clear, colorless, neutral-tasting spirit that is made primarily from grains (usually wheat). Vodkas are distilled several times to remove impurities.
• **Whiskey** - Whiskeys are spirits that are made from a fermented mash of cereal grains, especially corn. Whiskies are generally aged longer than Vodka, so they tend to have a richer, fuller flavor.
• **Rum** - Rum is a spirit made from sugar cane juice. Rums are distilled to make white rum, light rums, dark rums, spiced rums, and flavored rums.
• **Brandy** - Brandy is a spirit made from wine grapes and/or raisin grapes. Brandy is distilled to produce brandy, eau de vie, cognac, and créme de cassis.
• **Tequila** - Tequila is a spirit made from blue agave plants. Tequilas are distilled to make blanco tequila, reposado tequila, and extra-añejo tequila.
• **Liqueurs** - Liqueurs are sweetened alcoholic beverages that may be served chilled or hot. Some liqueurs are based on fruit juices, others on herbs, spices, and roots.
• **Cognacs** - Cognacs are strong, aromatic, and highly prized French brandies. They are distilled multiple times to achieve their distinctive character.
• **Aperitifs** - Aperitifs are drinks meant to stimulate the appetite before dinner. They are usually low in alcohol content and high in acidity.
• **Champagne** - Champagne is a sparkling wine made from the fermentation of grape must, which is the mixture of crushed grapes left after pressing out the juice. Champagnes are classified according to the region they come from, the style of winemaking, and the amount of residual sugar.
• **Kir** - Kir is a Japanese rice liquor that is similar to sake. It is made from polished rice and brewed with koji mold.
• **Sake** - Sake is a traditional Japanese beverage made from steamed rice. Sakes are categorized into four main styles: Junmai, Daiginjyo, Hakushu, and Nihonshu.
London dry gin is a type of gin that is made with a blend of different ingredients, including juniper berries, coriander seeds, and other botanicals. London dry gin is different from other types of gin because it is distilled using a process that allows for the fullest possible flavor extraction from the botanicals. This results in a gin that is full-bodied and flavorful.
There are many different types of London Dry Gin, but finding the right one for you can be tough. If you're looking to buy a gift, or treat yourself, our site has the perfect London Dry Gins for your tastes.